Thursday, October 8, 2009

I wasn't sure whether I could make a blog entry out of this, but in light of the fact that I don't have a twitter account, I really had no other choice than to interrupt this regularly entertaining blog with a public service announcement. For all of you who are drinking the version of Tetley's Decaffeinated tea sold in the United States: you are in the placebo group. Even after 10 minutes of steeping, I can't tell the difference between this and a mug of warm water.

However, while the national brand teas might be inferior, they have some really damn good bacon here, in Illinois, at least. Hey, I wonder if I can steep that...

3 comments:

effamy said...

why drink decaffeinated tea? seems sacrilegious if you really are a tea aficionado. have any number of decent herbals (not the crappy flower like ones).
i bought a teaopia pot and their loose stuff back home and brought it here with me. ordered some more online and now it's tea time nearly every afternoon. very nice pick me up. but that's real tea. you might not like that. ;-)

Unknown said...

you could also decaf (of a sort) your own - steep regular tea for 30 seconds, dump that tea and add fresh water. I think something like 85% of the caffeine ends up in the tea you dump.

Or try a rooibus. That is my nighttime tea.

effamy said...

both the herbs you mentioned to me, mint and chamomile and super super easy weedy plants you can grow, dry, and therefore steep yourself. . . don't even need a chi chi boutique tea shop for those.

and commenter john's rooibus idea is a good one too (not sure about his first idea).