Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Om nom nom

I like the om nom nom eating meme. It makes me happy. I also apologize in advance for the paucity of humour in this entry, and for the use of the word 'paucity'.

Right now, I'm in the final four weeks of my PhD, basically just waiting for my defense date to come around, and I'm busier now than I have been at any time in the last 6 years. I'm just about to start up an fMRI experiment (for the second time), and am trying to figure out some software that psychology researchers use to model how the brain works. That's two pretty hefty projects that I am sort of obliged to follow through on because I have been making reference to them in my job applications, the process of which is almost a job in itself.

In addition to the above academia-related obligations, I also have obligations to Jude's preschool. This evening I was there scrubbing down toys because children are notorious harborers of plagues. I might add, however, that I actually enjoyed my time cleaning toys with a few other parents, which makes me wonder if perhaps I need to get out a bit more. On top of that, I have taken on the challenge of building the website for the preschool because they had let their previous and shoddy one lapse. I will create a new, less shoddy website.

And finally, this past weekend, I passed my M1 exit road test, so I am now a licensed M2 motorcycle driver, just in time for today's snow squall warning. It was a really good class, I learned alot, and would recommend it to anyone. Actually, if it weren't so expensive, I'd recommend it to any driver because it really hammers home the importance of paying attention while driving, which I'm afraid most of us don't do enough of most of the time. There'd be a lot fewer accidents if everyone drive as if their lives depended on it.

One funny side effect of all this learning I've been doing lately: today on the bus, some guy got on carrying a UWO course book for some senior level philosophy course. For some bizarre reason, I felt anxiety because it occurred to me that I knew nothing about whatever that book was about. I think I have some issues to work through.

1 comments:

effamy said...

ha ha. that's funny, that last bit. in a sad, i get it, kind of way.