Friday, July 4, 2008

Home Stretch

It's the fourth of July. For all my devoted readers in the US, I hope you're enjoying your day at home. I know I am. Today I stayed home to work on my dissertation. I'm presently taking a lunch break (at 3pm). Holy crap, did I just make myself a good sammich. We have a George Foreman grill, which I like to use to make grilled panini sandwiches, which Rebecca and I fell in love with in Montreal. My sandwich, however, does not use panini buns, but is instead a black forest ham sandwich with smoked cheddar slices and tomato on sourdough bread. I brush the outside with olive oil and dried rosemary and fresh ground pepper before putting it on the 'George. It's just - wow. How wow? Well, I'm blogging about it, that's how wow.

As for the dissertation, I've planned to write it in 5 sections. I'm at the end of section 4, and I have a good idea about what I will be writing for section 5. Then I will give it to Ken, and in usual Ken style, he will hand it back to me with revisions that amount to deleting every third word, and then replacing half of the remaining words with different words. Or maybe, just maybe, after 6 years, I have gotten so used to his editing style that he'll have relatively few changes. I can only dare to hope.

Gah! Effing fruit flies! I hate them!!!!

1 comments:

effamy said...

when i'm sitting in his office going over all the editing scribbles, and he gives me a look that i'm sure is the look i give undergrads with really really bad writing skills, i think to myself, "good gawd, will i -ever- be able to write anything on my own?"
but then when we are sitting in his office going over the editing scribbles, and i point out that the current editing scribbles are scribbles he's making to his -own- edits from the previous session (and they often are reverting back more or less to what i originally had), i feel way way better inside.