Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Shoebox of Life

[begin part that probably only John, Ryan and Miranda will understand]
I finally did it: I took the plunge and ordered the bits and pieces for a replacement desktop computer from TigerDirect.ca. The computer on which I am presently typing has components that are 10 years old (I'll probably reuse the floppy drive, so I guess even the new computer will have some really old parts). I think I will go dual-boot with Linux and Windows XP.
[end part that probably only John, Ryan and Miranda will understand]

So after the computer bits arrive and I assemble my new super death machine®, I think I will be adding a new document scanner so I can continue the digitization of the bills and statements and all that other crap that various companies send me each month. Previous month's bills have been stored on Macho Me, but I read today about a free service called shoebox.com that will store pdf copies of your receipts, with no storage limit (I suppose that if one came to rely on it for a few years and they changed that policy, you could find yourself in a bit of a pickle). Anyways, that is what I learned today, and I just wanted to share it. You may now go about your normal business.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are inspiring me.

I now think when I become unemployed I should clean out my filing cabinet, scanning all my old paper and archiving it to my NAS - which I will add a second drive to and set to RAID-1 for safety. I should also create an encrypted volume, just because.

I don't trust the internet not to mine my crap, so it ain't gonna see it. As I have records going back too many years, this will take some doing and could possibly destroy my shredder... but I am inspired! For now...

so what bits did you order???

Chris said...

Remember kids, RAID is not a backup!