Monday, January 2, 2012

Cuneiform

Little known fact: Before Moses brought down the ten commandments from Mount Sinai, his first challenge was to select an appropriate tablet. The usual depiction of Moses bearing two tablets illustrates that he was ultimately unable to decide between iOS and Android.


I received an Android tablet this Christmas. It wasn't anything especially fancy, which is fine, because I hadn't yet researched the hell out of it, and indeed wasn't even sure I wanted a tablet computer. I kind of did. But I kind of also want a jet pack and mutant healing factor, so ...

Though it's a little underpowered for some of the fancier business that the kids are doing these days (I was unable to play a Netflix stream on it, for example), it does play video off the external MicroSD card just fine. And after installing the Aldiko eBook reader app, the device now essentially functions as a Kindle with movies and Angry Birds. I now also have an opinion on the Android Market (versus Apple's App Store), which I found somewhat difficult to navigate -- partly because of the peculiarities of my device, but also because it contains many, many apps written for Asian markets, with no means of filtering them. I have, however, found Amazon apps to be a fine venue for filling up the storage on my device. 

0 comments: