Saturday, November 19, 2011

The New Deal

So it's bill paying day. I noticed my cable bill was slightly higher this month than in months past. The culprit? Check out the addition on my $10 retention discount.

I contacted the retention department and ask why they only want to retain me half as much as they did last month. Fortunately, the web-based support chat allows a transcript to be retained:

  • Rep: I do see here that you have the Retention discount.
  • Rep: This discount is already ending this Nov 22, 2011.
  • Rep: That is why for cycle Nov 7 to Dec 6 bill, you get only $5.33 discount (covers Nov 7 to Nov 22 only).
  • Me: I see. So after November 22, there's no longer any interest in retaining me?
  • Rep: After November 22, the retention discount already expires.
  • Rep: We can modify/change your current services if you wanted to keep more or less the same monthly rate after the discount expires.
  • Rep: We surely want to keep you as our loyal customer, sir.
  • What you can't see here is the 2 minute gap between my last question and the rep's response. Poor bastard. I'm sure I sideswiped him with that doozy. At the end of the day, my $10 discount was replaced by a $30 discount for the next six months, with no change to my services. I'm pretty sure I have to tone down my snarkiness when I write rebuttal letters, but it can be a useful trait from time to time.

    0 comments: