Thursday, May 5, 2011

Don't Judge Me

Sometimes I go for a spell where I have nothing to say; other times, I have so many half-formed topics swirling in my head that I don't know where to begin. This week was the case of the latter. To invent a cooking metaphor, you can't slow-cook a roast and bake a cake in the same oven. Sure, you can overextend the metaphor by arguing that you can still make a fine custard on the stove top while your roast cooks, but I don't know that a custard is the best choice to follow a roast. And what vegetables are we to serve with our meal anyways?

Where was I?

Oh yeah. So there was a royal wedding that I completely and deliberately missed, though I understand there was a hat in attendance that looked like a minor deity



I'm not going to talk about that. There was also an election in Canada. I'm not going to talk about that just yet either. Nor will I talk about the conclusion of the Bin Laden saga (other than to share Amy's linux joke about $> mv -rf /bin/laden /dev/null, which was totally funny, trust me.)

No, I just wanted a cathartic experience: I like -- no, I NEED -- something to drink with my meals. I don't like to drink milk, and I seldom drink alcohol, and neither are appropriate to bring to work in a lunch bag. So I often buy tetra-pack juice. And you know what I see when I go to the grocery store? An aisle full of juice box cartons decorated with cartoon characters and funny little faces made out of fruit. "It's not for me," I want to say at the check out, like I'm paying a cute cashier for a box of hemorrhoid ointment. I miss the bland yellow and black packaging of the No-Name brand, because I feel like I'm being blended into the same category as middle-aged men who buy comic books.

1 comments:

toad said...

We get cans of juice, because: 1) they don't have ridiculous pictures on them, 2) cans are more widely recyclable than juice boxes (though that is slowly changing), 3) they may be a better bang for your buck given that there is more juice in each container (I haven't done the calculation because I don't pay attention to juice box prices anymore, but it could be a fun math problem for you!), 4) I could drink 2 juice boxes at lunch, just like I could eat 2 yogurts :), and 5) if you pre-chill the cans in your fridge, they make an excellent cold pack to keep your lunch cool during the morning, leaving more space for your actual lunch because you don't have to include a cold pack.