Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Social this 'n that

Everything is social these days. Exercise is no exception. I always found the social aspect of working out to be a strong motivator. After all, if you've got a gym buddy, odds are you're going to make it to your planned workout, even if neither of you are particularly feeling it that day (of course, the endorphins released during your workout almost guaranteed that you'd both leave quite happy with your decision). However, back in the day, social exercising meant working out with someone. Now it's a different story. Not a day goes by where I don't sign into my facebook account and see some app update about how far my friends have run. Though I may wholeheartedly approve of my friend's decision to keep active, these social network apps have, from time to time, made me feel somewhat inadequate.

Now, apparently, Nike has a social network app that automatically tracks not only how far you've run, but also where, using GPS. So, in the next week or so, I'm going to drive to a truck stop and tie a Nike running shoe to the underside of one of those long haulers.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

1. you would have to put an iPhone in or near that shoe.

2. you would need to get that iPhone back to connect to the Nike site to then update the Facebook and/or Twitter (as I assume they provide the connection somehow).

An easier and cheaper solution would be to just copy someone's 'status' into your 'status' thing, and then inflate the distance.

and if you are wondering, I ran 12.5km this morning partly by accident as I got lost trying to find my way back to the hotel but mostly on purpose.