Monday, November 10, 2008

Imminent

November 26th, 2008, 1pm. That's the time and date for my public lecture for my Senate Defense. UWO requires a minimum of 6 weeks to schedule your senate defense following your departmental, ostensibly to allow your external examiner time to read your paper. This is probably more of an issue for those fluffy disciplines that I make fun of for routinely having dissertations that require multiple volumes -- you can write about the significance of the Mister Men books on contemporary culture if you want, but make sure you use 3600 pages to do so because you otherwise may as well just submit Liam's grade 2 book report on the same topic.

Yes, there is such thing as academic snobbery.

Also, I will explicitly state that I am not taking a dig at Karen's dissertation. She studies interesting stuff too -- at least interesting enough to deserve mention in the media, which is more than I can hope for with my research topic.

So, if you find yourself with naught else to do, feel free to stop by the Dean's office on the 26th, and check out this presentation from which I am currently taking a break. Party at Ken's afterwards.

1 comments:

effamy said...

wow, good thing you clarified boy-o. i was firing one up as i read that. as it stands i'm already bracing myself for all the nonsense from your dad (i have decided that the only reason he decided to carry on with me is to have someone to be sarcastic with who can't say anything back). i only wish val had let me go the week after yours like i wanted...then i wouldn't be faced with having to give an exam the night of my big d.