Friday, August 15, 2008

Batteries not included

A couple of weeks ago my laptop battery went south. I wonder whether it might be the wiring in my parent's house, because that's where I was when the battery on my last laptop went out too. Regardless, my laptop was telling me that the battery was malfunctioning and needed replacement. I went to the Lenovo website and ordered a new one to find that it would be 2 - 3 weeks before the they even shipped it. That was a week ago. In the meantime, I checked on ebay to find that one can find genuine Lenovo batteries, as well as generic knockoffs (both produced in China, possibly even by the same manufacturers). I ordered a new knockoff battery from a Toronto-based company two days ago, and it just arrived today. The battery is charging even now, the only catch being that there is a caution icon that displays beside the battery status indicator that warns that I'm not using a genuine Lenovo battery, and might not meet Lenovo's safety and quality standards. But then again, it might. For 50% off, I'll risk it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So last week as I stood in the parking lot of my hotel, watching the flames consuming one of rooms, I could not help but wonder what might have started such a thing...

My first thought, which may be a reflection of the times, was not the alleged cause of the fire (smoking). I for some reason jumped to someone leaving their laptop on and the battery overheated as I have heard many tales of such things.

I am not saying the no-name battery is going to set things on fire, I am just saying I would not leave it on and plugged in unattended for a long time...

zgcshjzv!

Anonymous said...

How did I know that the lone comment for this entry would come from John