Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Research and Development

I walked with Jude and his cousins to school this morning before I made the drive back to Chicago. As the two older cousins fell back with their Lolo, Jude and Lydia walked just ahead of me. Crossing one of the two playgrounds on the school yard, Jude was practicing balancing along the wooden rail-tie edging as two older girls, perhaps second-graders, approached them. There was a brief exchange with one of the girls that I unfortunately didn't hear. But it left Jude flustered as I caught up to him.

"She keeps saying I'm cute," he complained, but in a way that didn't suggest that the problem was with the compliment. Unfortunately, he is not going to get any lessons in being slick from me, so he's on his own with this one.

"Good for you," I said, and touseled his hair.

Um, in other news, Apple was granted a patent for a steering wheel remote control? What the hell? Has anyone in the US patent office ever seen a single episode of Mythbusters? I'd like to see them bust the myth that the patent system has any credibility.

0 comments: