Friday, July 15, 2011

Chaos

A lag of twelve days is easily accounted for:
I'm at a conference in Florida during what appears to be a heat wave. Near as I can tell, if you don't like baking by a poolside or surfing, this is not the place for you. St Pete Beach, the community in which this conference is being held, has an odd geography. It basically looks like a paved sandbar:


View Larger Map

The A on the map marks where I am staying. The conference hotel is about 1.5 miles to the south. I hear the walk along the beach is okay, when the sun isn't beating down. I wouldn't know. 30 minutes in this sun would probably kill me.

So a week or so before this conference, I was making preparations so that things would go smoothly in my absence. Unfortunately, in the days leading up to the conference, things started to go decidedly UNsmoothly. A fierce but short-lived storm blew through my neighbourhood, knocking down trees and branches and severing power lines. We were without power for three days. Unless Gill went on a binge shopping trip, we're also now without food. That, incidentally is a second reason I didn't update recently. I recall having a couple of topical ideas about which to write, but with no means to publish them, I have since forgotten them.

0 comments: